Welcome!

This site is for those who are interested in developing and sharing their unique style. It is about self-expression, originality and fun! I believe everyone has inside of them a wealth of creative energy passively waiting to be expressed. Through my love of collecting, displaying, creating and photographing I express myself and how I see the world. Let your own creative energy escape! Whether expressed through your keen fashion sense, your good eye for detail or artistic abilities, creative expression will undoubtedly enrich your life. And maybe even inspire others!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Why Collage?


Collage opened me up to a whole new world of creativity. I've always been creative but I just could not find the right media. I loved drawing as a child but stopped sketching by adolescence, I just never felt my drawings were "good enough." I love color so I tried painting. It was more fun to play around with palettes than to actually come up with a decent composition. My creativity rested dormant for many years. I dabbled in a few different things but pursued no serious creative outlets.


AND THEN CAME COLLAGE! Finally, something just clicked inside of me and I had found my creative niche. I've often wondered what it is about collage that attracted me in the first place. I love the completely random nature of collage. For me, it has been as much about the process as the finished product. I have only a very vague sense of what I want the finished piece to look like. I leave a great deal up to "creating in the moment." That is where the magic happens. Too much forethought and my work lacks that spontaneous spark. I use only what I have within easy reach and make it work within the scope of the piece.


This collage is one I completed quickly and with delight. It began with an unclear path as so many do. Collage often creates itself as little "stories" develop as the work progresses. I call this one "Air Mail."


No comments:

Post a Comment